Monday, October 18, 2010

Message from Debbie Klem, PCUS Board Chair

This is part one of a three part series from our Board Chair, Mrs. Debbie Klem. Mrs. Klem is the parent of 2 PC alums and is herself a graduate of ‘Christian High’. These come from the devotions shared with the Board in August 2010.

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Isaiah 40:29

Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God." Luke 18:27

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

We have so much to be thankful for at the beginning of this school year. It may seem like we didn’t quite make it with our enrollment numbers because we didn’t reach our goal of 10%. However, if viewed on the grander scale, I’ve been on the Board for 6 ½ years and this is the first year in those 6 ½ years that we did not experience an enrollment decline. And we prayed that God would bring the specific students that He has chosen to be with us this year. We have a number of new students including 39 international students from 10 different countries.

We had a few teaching positions to fill and God brought us excellent people to fill those slots. There were twists and turns in filling those positions, but ultimately I believe God really guided Jim and Phil and Donn to choose His choice for each position.

We may not know the solution yet to our financial dilemmas, but God has definitely been guiding us through those twists and turns, too. And when I consider our financial burden, I don’t believe we have this burden due to being poor stewards of what God has given us. Our burden is simply an opportunity for God to be God and for us to grow in faith, trust, and service.

As I was trying to collect all that was on my heart to share with you tonight, I went looking through our little library at home to see if God could help me assimilate my thoughts through any of those authors. I came across the book, “If Jesus Were Mayor” by Bob Moffitt of Harvest Ministries. And, it was clearly the book God chose for me to look through. It’s primarily written to churches, but one chapter in particular stood out to me for us as a Board and a school.

The chapter is titled “Kingdom Mathematics – Multiplication for Service”. Harvest ministries works with churches in many other countries and in this chapter he opens by referencing a church in Ethiopia that was part of a culture that believes poverty in its society can be significantly reduced only by outside resources. I know that we are not of that mindset, but it kind of caught my attention because we are in a situation where we are looking for outside resource help, first from the bank, but further outside as our loan may be sold to someone we don’t even know. So, I read on.

He presents what he calls multiplication for service. And I thought, that’s what we ultimately desire to do is to be able to serve families by providing a Christian school that teaches children through a Christian world view. In the concept of multiplication for service, the multiplying agent is God. A mentality of dependence on resources imprisons much of the church today and as we’re faced with our finances we, too, could become imprisoned by such a mentality. We need to constantly check that our dependence is on God. He may use outside resources, but we need to look to Him as our primary resource.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your leadership! His ways are indeed greater than ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand the reference Use outside resources, as we depend on HIM to provide the outside resource. I have watched Him do that over and over again in the last 28 days. I believe that God has provided us this opportunity to watch him provide!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on our blog.