Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Message from Phil Adams, Principal JH/SH & Central Elementary

Then Job answered the LORD and said:
"I know that you can do all things,
and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
'Hear, and I will speak;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.'
I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you;
therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes."

Job 42:1-6 English Standard Version

Beginning with chapter 38, God interrupted Job and the advice he was being given by his friends. God proceeded to ask a series of not-so-rhetorical questions. In chapter 42 we see Job’s response. It sounds like God got Job’s attention. He first admits that God is omnipotent. Then he answers God’s question about the darkened counsel by admitting that he, Job, was the one without understanding. Notice that he did not blame his friends. Then Job admits that this interrogation by God had the intended effect. Hearing and seeing God for who He really is had the inevitable effect of making Job recognize his puniness and sinfulness, and forcing him to repent. Job knew about God. He did not know God. Note that God did not accuse Job of a particular sin. Job simply did not measure up to who God is or what He demands: perfection.

Thank you, God that you have provided the perfection you require through your Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.