Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Message from Phil Adams, Principal JH/SH & Central Elementary

My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline,
and do not resent his rebuke,
because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in.

Proverbs 3:11-12, New International Version

This is a verse we adults like to toss out there to our students or children now and then. Even if we don’t come right out and say it, we may think it. The problem is, God’s word is directed at the reader, not the person the reader has in mind. Daily I am confronted with how God tenderly, yet firmly chastens me. It may be a word from a colleague, friend, or family member. It may be seeing the results of what I have said or done play out in someone else’s life. It may be that voice that reminds me of how I could have responded better to someone else’s lack of tact or even outright rudeness. For each of us it is different. James tells us that God’s goal for us is perfection, or completeness. Most often my agenda falls far short of God’s. Maximize the pleasure and minimize the pain – that’s me. But with God, he loves us too much to allow us to remain static. My desire is to not only allow God to mold me into the person I should be, but to also give God the freedom to rebuke or chasten as He sees fit when my cooperation with His agenda is less than it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.