Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Message from Rita Rodriquez, 4th Grade Teacher West Campus

Dear friends and colleagues,

Over the past several weeks I have had people, including my own son, express a feeling of wanting to know God’s will in their lives for certain situations. So I chose this devotional from Charles Stanley that I believe expresses an answer to this age old question of “How can I know God’s will for my life?”

This is from a devotional book called The Savior’s Touch, by Charles Stanley

“One of the most common questions I am asked is, “How can I know God’s will for my life?” Many times there is a great deal of anxiety in the voice of the one asking. Understandably so. It is discouraging when we don’t know what direction God wants us to take.

It is unfortunate that so many Christians are paralyzed by the question of God’s will. Many feel that until they know absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, exactly what God wants them to do, they don’t dare make a move. But that is not the model we find in Scripture. In fact just the opposite is true.

Paul is a good example. He knew God’s will for his life—that he should preach the gospel. So he took off to do just that. The implication of what happened in Acts 16 is that Paul did not get specific direction from the Lord. And when he didn’t, he simply did what he thought was best for him to do. Apparently Paul heard that Bithynia needed the gospel; so he headed out in that direction. But God had another plan for Paul and blocked the way.

If you don’t know God’s specific will for your life, chances are it is because he has not revealed it to you. In the meantime you are free to begin moving in whatever direction you feel is appropriate. If you make a wrong choice, God will stop you just as he stopped the apostle Paul. God never intended for us to be paralyzed by his silence. There is enough general guidance in his Word to get us on our way. As long as we are unsure of the specifics in life, we are free to make what we consider the best decision to be—again, knowing that he can step in at any time and change our direction.

Has your search for the “perfect” will of God left you in a holding pattern? Maybe it’s time to make a move. Don’t be afraid to do what you feel is best. For within the plan God has designed for each of us, he has included a measure of freedom as well.”

Acts 16:7 “When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to.”

Closing prayer:

Heavenly Father, you are the God who knows my fears and frustrations concerning the future. I confess that often I get anxious about your timing. Beginning today I am choosing to trust you to reveal everything I need to know at the perfect time. For now I will do what I feel is best. Through this process I am trusting you to stop me should I begin to move in the wrong direction or in the right direction at the wrong time. Thank you for the freedom to think and decided for myself as well as the promise of guidance. Lead me to a perfect balance of the two. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Rita,
    Thank you for a great devotional on God's will. God bless.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, That devotional was/is such a huge help as I seek to understand God's will for me and for my leading of the school. Thank you for sharing it with us. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on our blog.