Monday, January 31, 2011

Message from Jim Koan, Superintendent

I did it again; I fell into this trap. Tell me if this sound familiar to you.

I cry out to God when a great need is staring me in the face. God in His mercy and love reveals to me a solution, usually not in a miraculous way (like manna and quail falling from heaven or the Red Sea parting) but through human hands or human intervention. He provides for the next few steps on my ‘walk of faith’.

Usually I am then quick to tell any who would listen, “This is so cool what God is doing…” and then I tell them how God is providing for this need or for that surprise or even going above and beyond the minimum needs of my life…but then something happens.

A phone call comes in or an email is received or the check I was expecting doesn’t materialize and my outlook totally changes. I start to fret; I wonder what solution I can come up with. I start to analyze my resources and wonder how long I can hold out. I begin forming my plan for how I will respond …I…I…I…my…I… Do you see a pattern?

Whereas initially I gave God glory for the solution He revealed, when it did not go according to my expectation, according to my timetable, my default response all too often has been to fix my eyes on me…my…I.

I took my eyes off of Jesus, Creator of this world and Lover of my soul.

1Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
2fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-2 emphasis added)

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

My natural desire is to have a worry free, unobstructed life, but the reality is hardships and setbacks and disappointments and even pain will mark this race we run. But fortunately my success, and your success, is not reliant on our inner reserve or our intellect and experience. Christ is our sufficiency. I remind myself, and I encourage you, let’s keep our eyes on Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.