Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Message from Colleen Helman, High School Teacher

Am I Listening . . . or Ignoring?

Of late, the Holy Spirit of God has been after me with the question, “How much of yourself is really committed to Me, The God of the universe, the Lord of your life, the Savior of your very soul?” He did not hit me with that all at once, I’m sure, because I would have answered, “Of course I’m committed to you, Lord! I asked Jesus into my heart when I was eight years old. I go the church every Sunday and to a Bible Study every Tuesday night. I’m married to a minister. I teach in a Christian school. “What do you mean, how much of me is really committed to You?’ Can’t you tell?

Well, the problem is . . . He really CAN tell how much of me is committed to Him. And so, a little bit at a time, the Holy Spirit keeps asking the same question, in different ways, at different times of the day, in different circumstances, until I can no longer pretend I don’t hear Him. It comes everyday. And will continue, I’m sure, as I examine every corner of my life. And then He will begin again.

Below are the verses from Mark in which a religious leader asked Jesus which commandment was the most important of them all. Look at what Jesus said in answer to the question:

Jesus said, "The first in importance is, 'Listen, Israel: The Lord your God is one; so love the Lord God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence and energy.' And here is the second: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' There is no other commandment that ranks with these."

Mark 12:28-31 (The Message)

Then, last Sunday night, during the Praise and Worship part of the service, I heard an old, old hymn, sung by a group of young men and women that I have watched grow up at our church. They sang it beautifully, from their hearts, and I sang along as the Lord again asked me His question. Those of you who know this hymn can sing it in your mind. If you don’t know it, please read the words that the Holy Spirit would not let me ignore:

Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing always, only, for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect, and use every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.

Thank your for letting me share the daily challenge each of us face as we look for God in our daily lives. My prayer for me (and for you) is that I be listening for, and expecting, His continual, daily prompting to examine my actions, motives and my commitment to and love for HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.