Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Message from Phil Adams, Principal JH/SH & Central Elementary

“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”
-- James 1:5, English Standard Version

What an amazing promise. All I have to do is ask. Can it really be that simple? I am no theologian, but for me, the “if” is more like “since”. Never a day goes by but what I feel as dumb as a bag of hammers. This is probably the prayer I whisper to God more than any other. And yet I think God is most pleased when we have come to the end of ourselves and “Cast all our cares upon Him”. Why does it take so long for us to come to the end of ourselves? Wouldn’t it be simpler all around if we just started there? Each of us has our own tale to tell for that question.

“Whatever you teach me is all I have for others, God…. Too often I am a fool, tricked so easily by my own personality, deceived by my ignorance, blinded by my proud determination to win, and misled by my logic. Sometimes my spirit is asleep or busy elsewhere or just encrusted with all my own exquisite rationalizing. I need your wisdom.

“If I were brilliant, if I had the knowledge and strengths that I admire in so many other people, if I were a spiritual giant, I would simply ask you to help me do my best. But my best is not good enough, and I cannot see clearly enough. I am your child, and I want to learn, but unless your Spirit teaches me, I have little to offer. I need your wisdom.

From Leadership Prayers, by Richard Kriegbaum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.