Friday, March 9, 2012

Message from Karen Boyce, Business Office Manager

Its almost spring break!

"Are you tired? Worn out? … Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28-30 The Message

I was camp counselor at a Jr/Sr High youth retreat a couple of weekends ago. The theme of the camp was “rest” focusing on Matthew 11:28. Honestly, teenagers and rest are an oxymoron in my mind. But, I was able to observe the teenagers “unplug” from their worlds, pause from their difficult situations, and seek oneness with God.

For me, I would prefer to replace the word “rest” with “sleep”, but I have subtle reminders that sleep was not God’s intention. Rather, God’s intention is for me to surrender, seek sanctification and He will lighten my burdens. Rest is divine diversion from the hectic human world we live in.

Each of us has our own cross to carry. My heaviest cross was losing my mom two years ago yesterday. But, through this journey, I have learned about the cost and yet the necessary craving for sanctification.

My response to the command “Come to Me” allows me to measure my commitment to God. Oswald Chambers says it best, “Sanctification … will be expressed in our lives as a peaceful resting in God, which means a total oneness with Him. And this oneness will make us not only blameless in His sight, but also bring profound joy to Him.”

With Spring Break next week, I will pray for your rest. Hopefully you will get some sleep too, but more importantly, that whatever cross you carry, my prayer is that you will find time to get away with God and that He will lighten your burdens. Your “resting” will bring our God great joy!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.