Thursday, January 26, 2012

Message from Margarita Llanes, Spanish Teacher

May the words of Tom McGrath encourage your hearts today as it did mine.

“Obey your thirst”
I was reading the account of Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well. It dawned on me that as Jesus asked the woman for something to drink, the story was all about the woman’s thirst. Through the travails of five husbands she had obviously been thirsting for something more than she had found. Jesus told her of a better way to quench her thirst, a way that was eternally satisfying.
I take great comfort in seeing that Jesus is more interested in my thirst that in my sins. Life can encourage me to ignore my thirst- to keep on pushing harder at the many duties involved in being a parent, spouse, worker, neighbor, parishioner, and so forth. Ignoring my thirst is what often leads me to errant ways. I get resentful and angry, confused and empty. Meanwhile, Jesus sits at the well inviting me to pay attention to both my physical needs and my deeper longing for God. He is always ready to give me a long, cool drink of living water.

When the poor and needy seek water, and
There is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst,
I the Lord will answer them, I the God of Israel
Will not forsake them. Isaiah 41:17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.