Monday, April 6, 2015

Message from Lauren Scharnweber, Elementary Teacher


“For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 3:18-20)

I am currently rereading Francis Chan’s book “Crazy Love” (if you haven’t read it, I highly recommend it!). It has made me start thinking a lot more about heaven. Too often I find myself getting caught up in today. I tend to stay very busy and have lots of checklists. Although most of these commitments are “good”, they distract me from setting my mind “on things that are above”. Chan writes, “A relationship with God simply cannot grow when money, sins, activities, favorite sports teams, addictions, or commitments are piled on top… Lukewarm people think about life on earth much more often than eternity in heaven. Daily life is mostly focused on today's to-do list, this week's schedule, and next month's vacation.” (pp. 67 & 75) My challenge to you today is to stop getting distracted by earthly things and remember that your citizenship is in heaven! “Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.” (Colossians 3:2) Everything you do, every time you’re stressed or anxious, ask yourself “How does this affect me in light of eternity?” If we really did this, I think it would truly transform how we live our lives!

C. S. Lewis wrote, “If you read history you will find the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.