Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Message from Jeff Blake, MS/HS Principal


Seven of the one thousand and ninety-seven passed the secret test outside of the Washington, DC L’Enfant Metro station stop in 2007.  Seven slowed to listen to the music of a world class violinist who played upon a “three-hundred-year-old Stradivarius worth $3.5 million.”

In Mark Batterson’s The Grave Robber, I was/am reminded of my own hurried pace as (daily) I rushed out of the same metro station with an anxious mind occupied with lists, expectations, and frustrations.   And, it is hard for me to believe twenty years have passed since my time as a Washington intern.  
  
As I reflect, I have reason to celebrate ripening fruits of the Spirit, but I know I have so much further to grow, particularly as it relates to an anxious heart.   As a result, I have given much confusion, prayer, reading, questioning, and baby steps of trust in Jesus’ call to “not be anxious about [my] life . . .” (Matthew 6:25-34).  
  
It seems out of reach to identify Kingdom living as a life separate from the concerns of nutrition, clothes, money, and unresolved dilemmas.  It is safe to say I am adolescent in this dimension of my spiritual formation. Yet, I am seeking His Kingdom first in simple prayers/ requests that the Holy Spirit invade my thinking.  Recently, I have found a morning recitation of the promises of the 23rd Psalm as a helpful first step.

Each day, while my mind is wheeling with a thousand thoughts of anxious concern, the earth is spinning through space over sixty seven thousand miles per hour and traveling well over one million miles within a galaxy that is spinning over four hundred thousand miles per hour.  And even though I am living in this miracle, I rush about too consumed to notice the miracle of His sovereign hands.   
  
C.K. Chesterton puts it this way, “Grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in the monotony.  Is it possible God says every morning, ‘Do it again’ to the sun and every evening, ‘Do it again’ to the moon? The repetition in nature may not be a mere recurrence; it may be a theatrical encore.”
  
The anxious free life often seems so far away.  
  
Would you consider joining me in a daily invitation of Holy Spirit to meet us our places of anxiety?  Each day holds opportunities of discovery and rediscovery of Divine miracles of provision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.