Monday, January 13, 2014

Message from Harold Harmon, High School Teacher

As I complete my 65th revolution of the sun, I notice that my goals are much different than they were 20 years ago.  I am no longer concerned with career advancement or finally completing my doctoral program.  I am rather concerned with spending more time with my loved ones, giving more hugs, and trying to represent Jesus well to those around me.  How my grandchildren will remember me has become very important to me and I make a tremendous effort to make each one of them feel special when they get to spend time with Poppy.  I now read for enjoyment, plan more escape time with Sandy, and take great pleasure in my relationships with the students in my classes.  What started out as a job back in 1976 soon became fun and I know I will struggle with leaving teaching upon retirement.

God knew that I would function more successfully in a kid’s world.  Sandy and I have parented 61 foster children, 7 international students, and 4 of our own.  Although I am sure we were not always good parents, we tried to show love and acceptance to each one that came through our home.  We made them a part of ‘our family’ and also introduced each one to Jesus.  We also have many “adopted children” in Mexico and I suppose at least 3000 students have suffered through my classes over the past 38 years.

As Sandy and I face some drastic changes in the next few years, we take comfort in knowing that God will continue to bless us and our efforts just like He has done in the past.  The Phoenix Christian family has been such a source of blessings as well and it has been an honor to work here.  Having some of my grandchildren here makes it even more special as it did when my children attended here 25 years ago.  (Glenn says I have to teach here until he graduates!). 

I am not a very good pianist but the quartet has given me the venue to play concerts in about 40 different churches per year all over Arizona and Southern California – and those seniors think I am the greatest pianist on the planet.  We have published 5 CD’s and are working on a 6th of just piano.  This will be a legacy I will give to my children and grandchildren.

I’m not very demonstrative but I do have a passion for music, teaching, missions, and children.  God has given me opportunities to be involved in each of these areas and, except for our outreach to Mexico, I get paid to do what I love doing.  Sandy and I thank God every day for the blessings He continues to give us and, as we look back over our lives, we can truly say that He has always been faithful in supplying our needs.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Harmon,

    Thanks for sharing your heart! Your post was lovely and gives some terrific advice for some of us who are not quite where you are at yet. You have been a blessing serving God right where He's needed you over the years. May He continue to bless you and your wife and may His good plans for you continue to bring the joy and contentment you display in this message!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on our blog.