Monday, January 14, 2013

Message from Mary Hendricks, Elementary Teacher


Wisdom in Accepting Others

Proverbs 22:2
'The rich and poor meet together; the Lord is the maker of them all.

     Students struggle with wrong values. In elementary school name-calling and insults are not uncommon. The handicapped, the slow-learner, and the less developed are the butt of cruel jokes. In high school, the athletic, the best looking, or the best dressed often lead the popularity parade. Even teachers are often guilty of favoring the exceptional student.

     The problem with such favoritism is a failure to see people as God sees them. Solomon reminds us that we are all the creation of God. Wealth, poverty, personality, academic, and athletic skills are by God's design. To favor one over the other is to disregard God's design and providence. When students mock another, they mock his Maker (Prov. 14:31; 17:5). Likewise, 1 Corinthians 8:12 reminds us that when we sin against another Christian we “sin against God.”

     James reminds us of the other side of the coin (2:1-9)-honoring others for their station in life. When we give preferential treatment to those who are more popular, better looking, or better students, we also mock God. Job declared "For know not to give flattering titles; in so doing my maker would soon take me away” (Job 32:22).

Final thought: To favor one above another is to mock the wisdom of our Maker!
 (Taken from, Apples for Teachers by Frank Hamrick)

A New Year Prayer for My Students

Dear Lord,

You’ve called me to teach another semester and now the new year has begun. I know my students even better this semester, than I did back in August. Yet, I often feel overwhelmed by the challenge set before me. I know that each student is unique and each child has different strengths and weaknesses, setting them apart from their classmates. Lord, I need your wisdom and strength to teach each one to accept the gifts and the limitations you have given to them, as they grow in you.I know that I can only attempt this in your strength, day by day, Lord.
Most of all, fill me with love and acceptance for each one of these children that you have placed in my care. I pray that I may show them your love and how to seek you with all their heart, to love your Word, and to pray with great faith in you. Heavenly Father, I give each day ahead of me to you, and seek your blessings for each one of the students in my class.

In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.