Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Message from Donn Start West Valley Principal

During our August 10 PC West Valley teacher’s meeting, our staff discussed what school rules we desperately want to prioritize this school year. After much discussion it became apparent that one rule would take center stage this school year – The Golden Rule. During his Sermon on the Mount Jesus instructed us in Luke: 6:31 “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” How simple yet how sophisticated.

Other religions have similar conduct rules that basically state “Don’t do mean things to others.” However, the Golden Rule instructs us to do so much more than simply not being mean to others. Jesus instructs us to put ourselves in the other person’s shoes and then treat that person in a manner that we would like to be treated.

My first chapel challenge to our elementary students was to look for opportunities to apply the Golden Rule on the playground, in the classroom, and at home. This same challenge I also present to you. As we begin this new school year, I challenge you to look for opportunities to apply Jesus’ Golden Rule with school families, struggling students, and your colleagues. To ask ourselves “if I were the new student; if I were a financially strapped parent; if I were the lunchroom supervisor; or if I were the classroom teacher; what would I like for someone to do for me?”

I hope that you’ll join me in pledging to make a positive difference on the Phoenix Christian community by doing much more than simply ‘not being mean to one another.’ This year, let’s not simply talk about The Golden Rule - let’s do it!

Blessings to each of you on the start of a Christ-filled school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.