Monday, March 10, 2014

Message from Jennifer Low, 6th Grade Teacher



"The really wonderful moments of joy in this world are not the moments of self-satisfaction, but self-forgetfulness. Standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon and contemplating your own greatness is pathological. At such moments we are made for a magnificent joy that comes from outside ourselves."

― John Piper, Don't Waste Your Life

John Piper is one of my favorite Christian authors. The above quote stuck with me as I thought of those experiences that I did not matter, where it was not about me; the moment was all about God. The day my son was born, I did not matter; I was totally mesmerized by this gift that God had given me. This perfect little person that He had entrusted to me. The first time I went to Scotland I was surrounded by God's creation. The beautiful countryside and tranquil beaches gave me peace and I did not matter. Sometime these moments last hours and sometimes they are brief. When you catch a glimpse of the sun just before it sets and the sun's orange glow stops all thoughts for just a moment and all you see is the glory of God. It didn't last long, but you did not matter in that moment.

I was recently reminded of how precious these God moments are to me when my friends in Scotland posted about being able to see the Northern Lights. I thought about how amazing that must have been and how they must have faded into a state of utter awe with God. I know that they were not self-satisfied, but in a state of self-forgetfulness. I desire to have more times where I forget about me and take the time to see only God, be engulfed in His glory and captivated by His love.​

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog.